Tel: +61 2 9260 2747
Mob: 0427 344 360
Who we are
Sparke Helmore celebrated its 130 anniversary last year and is an integrated, national full service law firm. Our Corporate Group is dedicated to providing a boutique offering servicing mid-market M&A, banking and private equity, delivering world class service and expertise. Our team combines senior partners and associates with experience gained on some of the most iconic and cutting edge deals while working in top tier Australian and global law firms. The team has acted on two management buy-outs that were awarded AVCAL Portfolio Company of the Year Awards (2011, 2010). We were also named CorpINTL Magazine’s Venture Capital Law Firm of the Year 2013 – Australia, for the second year in a row.
We are a proud partner of the Australian Growth Company Awards, alongside AVCAL, Westpac, Deloitte, Macquarie Bank and MYOB.
Some of our key clients include Macquarie Bank, CHAMP Ventures, Anacacia Capital, Olympus Capital, Westpac and AMP.
Nick Humphrey the Head of Corporate and Head of Private Equity at Sparke Helmore is an experienced private equity lawyer. He is the author of the Australian Private Equity Handbook, a plain English guide with step-by-step advice on implementing PE transactions. Nick also recently won a number of awards including Australian Financial Review Best Lawyer – Private Equity and is also Chambers Asia rated for Private Equity.
Hal Lloyd is a senior partner in the group and recently joined the team from Baker & McKenzie. Hal has considerable experience in M&A, private equity and distressed M&A transactions involving private capital. Ben Burney is the Head of Banking and Finance. Dan Atkin special counsel is Head of Emerging Company Group.
We have advised on a large number of private equity buyouts and investments, including:
- Macquarie Capital investment into 3P (Mathletics)
- merger between United Equipment and Allforks (for AMP Capital)
- CHAMP Ventures buyout of RSEA
- sale by CHAMP Ventures of TSmarine
- buyout by CHAMP Ventures of Lorna Jane
- ANZ Private Equity investment and then sale of API Security
- Sale by CHAMP Ventures of TS Marine to Fugro
- acquisition of Atom Supply from Investec Wentworth by Bishop Bros
- ANZ Private Equity buyout of Centaman Holdings
- MBO by AMP Capital of National Fire Systems and subsequent sale to Tyco
- Macquarie Capital investments into Temple & Webster and Freestyle Technology
- Archer Growth roll-up of day hospital facilities into Cura Day Hospitals, and
- the buyout of Bushs Pet Foods by ANZ Private Equity
- Deutsche Bank AG New York on its $1.6 billion financing of the Styron basic plastic acquisition and $1.325 billion refinancing note issuance to Deutsche Bank Securities Inc., Barclays Capital Inc., HSBC Securities (USA) Inc., Goldman, Sachs & Co and others
- Investec's funding of Crescent Capital Partners' $220 million bid for ClearView Wealth Limited.