Australia's premier PE and VC conference
12 September 2011
Australia’s leading representatives from private equity and venture capital will be joined by a number of international counterparts for two days at the annual premier industry event on 21 and 22 September.
The Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association’s (AVCAL) 2011 annual conference will provide AVCAL members a unique opportunity to hear first-hand about the latest trends and developments, as well as to discuss the current issues affecting the industry and the economy.
AVCAL CEO Dr Katherine Woodthorpe said this members-only event, AVCAL’s 18th annual conference, is Australia’s key information sharing and networking event for the industry.
“A great line-up of speakers is on offer and we will be pre-releasing some important industry data from the 2011 AVCAL/Ernst & Young Yearbook which will be fully released shortly after conference,” Dr Woodthorpe said.
“It’s important to take stock as an industry. Recent years for most sectors have been challenging but one thing that shines through for private equity in these volatile times is that as an asset class returns have been stable and high-performing.”
Conference keynote speaker, US-based Riverside Co-CEO Stewart Kohl said: “In these volatile and challenging times, private equity as an asset class is undergoing a shakeout. The best performing firms are proving themselves with creativity, resilience and outsized returns.
“I’m excited to share with this leading audience of Australian private equity practitioners the things that we as an industry are doing around the world to ensure our ability to continue to meet the needs of our investors, portfolio companies and communities.”
Other highlights from the program include:
- International perspectives on global PE and VC developments - a global panel including Joncarlo Mark, ex CalPERS; Simon Kinzett, Vice President, Campbell Lutyens; Alicia Gregory, Portfolio Manager, MLC Private Equity; and Alex Wilmerding, Principal, Pantheon
- How technology is driving our future - Hugh Bradlow , Chief Technology Officer, Telstra
- Macroeconomic perspectives and trends - Bill Evans, Global Economist, Westpac
- Concurrent sessions on PE and VC:
- VC sessions include a study of Asian impacts, stories from entrepreneurs and their backers, and shifts in the VC landscape
- PE sessions include how to raise a fund in 2012, the lower-mid market and negotiating volatility and opportunities, and lessons through the lending cycle.
The annual AVCAL awards recognising outstanding performance and achievement will also be announced at the conference.
Media contact: Stuart Snell, ph +61 (0)2 8243 7001, (0)416 650 906, firstname.lastname@example.org
Author: Yasser El-Ansary, Chief Executive, AVCAL
Author: Dr Noel Chambers, CEO, National Foundation for Medical Research and Innovation