Privacy and Disclaimer
AVCAL understands that privacy is important to you, and is committed to complying with the National Privacy Principles (NPPs), which are contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act). From 21 December 2001, the NPPs have governed how organisations in the private sector handle "personal information" (which is basically any information or an opinion which can identify you).
1. What Personal Information Does AVCAL Collect?
The types of personal information that AVCAL collects will depend on the nature of your dealings with us. We may collect personal information from you when you:
- Become a registered user on our website or subscribe to one of our mailing lists
- Attend an AVCAL event, or
- Have business dealings with us (whether as one of our suppliers, or as a regulator we deal with, or in the context of a transaction).
If you are a member or a registered user on our website or our mailing lists, the personal information we will collect from you will usually include your name, title, business address and e-mail address and contact numbers (telephone, fax). If necessary for the purposes of providing a better service to you at our events, sometimes we may collect other personal information from you, such as any dietary requirements you may have. However, we do not collect personal information that we do not need.
If you are one of AVCAL's "business contacts" (eg a contact person in one of our suppliers, or in a government agency or company with which we deal), we may collect basic business contact information from you (eg your name, title and work contact details). AVCAL will not ask to collect sensitive information about you (such as details of your race, political beliefs, religion or health).
2. How does AVCAL use Personal Information?
We need to collect personal information so that we can provide our products and services, and conduct our business. We also collect personal information so that we can communicate new venture capital developments to our members, our registered users and those on our mailing lists.
3. Will Your Personal Information be Given to Anyone Else?
AVCAL does not sell, rent or trade personal information about you to or with third parties. Personal information may be disclosed outside of AVCAL in the following circumstances:
(a) Disclosures to external service providers
AVCAL may disclose personal information to external service providers who help us operate our business. If AVCAL engages external service providers, AVCAL takes steps to ensure that those external service providers:
- Comply with the NPPs when they handle personal information about you (regardless of whether they are a small business, and would otherwise be exempt from the new privacy laws)
- Are authorised only to use personal information for the purposes specified in our agreement.
(b) Disclosures required or permitted by law
Otherwise, AVCAL will only disclose personal information if this is required by law or permitted under the Privacy Act.
4. Security of Personal Information
AVCAL takes reasonable steps to ensure the security of your personal information. Our premises are in a secure building with access restricted to passcard holders. Our IT systems are also password protected. We frequently update our anti-virus software in order to protect our systems (and the data contained in those systems) from computer viruses. In addition, all AVCAL employees are required, as a condition of employment, to treat personal information held by AVCAL as confidential.
5. Access and Correction
Under the Privacy Act, you have the right to seek access to your personal information handled by AVCAL. You also have the right to ask us to update or correct your personal information when it is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.
To provide you with access to your personal information held by us on our current records, AVCAL can provide you with a copy of the relevant personal information (ordinarily, an electronic print-out or a photocopy). AVCAL will not charge you for the cost of providing this type of access to these current records.
6. Online Privacy Issues
As noted above, sometimes we collect personal information through our website (if you become a registered user). This will be limited to your name, email address, telephone number and business contact details, such as your company and your title.
Sometimes our website contains links to other websites, for your convenience and information. When you access a website other than www.avcal.com.au, please understand that AVCAL is not responsible for the privacy practices of that site. We suggest that you review the privacy policies of each site you visit.
7. Additional Privacy Information and How to Contact AVCAL
Email: Privacy Officer
Post: AVCAL - Privacy Officer
Level 10, Kyle House
27-31 Macquarie Place,
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: + 61 2 8243 7000
For further information about privacy issues and the protection of privacy visit the Australian Federal Privacy Commissioner's website at www.privacy.gov.au.
AVCAL's web site is the virtual hub for the Australian venture capital and private equity industries.
Its aim is to link organisations that are involved in the provision of capital and services to Australian venture capital and private equity.
AVCAL does not:
- Give investment or securities advice
- Carry on an investment advisory business or a securities business
- Deal in securities on its own account or for or on behalf of any other person.
Information provided by AVCAL:
- Does not constitute personal securities recommendations or investment advice
- Is not intended to induce any person to enter into securities transactions
- Should not be relied upon as professional financial advice
- Is not intended to be a substitute for advice from a qualified financial adviser.
AVCAL does not warrant, guarantee or represent the completeness or accuracy of any information provided by AVCAL and does not assume or accept any liability or responsibility for:
- The accuracy of any information provided on this site, whether from the passing of time or otherwise
- Any errors or omissions in any information provided
- Any loss or damage suffered in any way by any person relying on any information provided
- Any computer viruses or other contamination inadvertently passed on.
Before relying on the material on this site, or information contained in it, users should independently verify its accuracy, currency, completeness and relevance for their purposes, and should obtain any proper professional advice. In particular, users should seek independent professional advice before making any investment or business decisions.
AVCAL disclaims, to the extent permitted by law, all liability for all claims, losses, expenses, damages, and costs the user may incur as a result of or associated with the use of information on this site for any reason whatsoever.
AVCAL assumes no liability for the actions of its members or any other person referred to on this site. Any links to other web sites or other contact details do not constitute endorsement of any materials, organisation, product or service.
AVCAL strives for world best practice. If you have a complaint about the conduct of an investor member, please contact our General Manager.