Privacy and Disclaimer
1. What personal information does AVCAL collect?
The personal information we collect usually includes personal information about:
- our members;
- registered users of our website;
- individuals subscribed to our mailing lists; and
- our business contacts (eg. the contact person of our supplier, or in a government agency or company with which we deal);
The types of personal information that AVCAL collects depends on the nature of your dealings with us, but usually includes your name, title, your company, business address, e-mail address and contact numbers (telephone, fax). Sometimes we may collect other personal information directly from you, such as dietary requirements and credit card details for the purchase of our services.
2. How does AVCAL collect and hold personal information?
We may collect personal information from you:
- when you become a registered user on our website or subscribe to one of our mailing lists;
- when you attend an AVCAL event, when you have business dealings with us or through cookies on our website; or
- from third parties in some instances, for example, where you are an employee of one of our members or where a third party has nominated you to attend one of our events.
AVCAL takes reasonable steps to ensure the security of your personal information. For example:
- our IT systems are password protected and use anti-virus software;
- there is restricted access to our physical premises;
- our personnel are required to treat personal information confidentially as a condition of employment; and
- we take reasonable steps to ensure external service providers to whom we provide personal information comply with the Australian Privacy Principles and only use personal information for the limited purpose for which it is disclosed.
3. Why does AVCAL collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
In general, AVCAL collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information to:
- provide its services;
- make available the details of its members to the public through a searchable members directory;
- notify you of industry news and events, unless you opt out of receiving these communications;
- comply with its legal obligations; and
- manage and enhance its services.
4. How can you access or correct your personal information?
You have the right to seek access to, or correction of your personal information held by AVCAL. Please contact our Privacy Officer (details below). Our members and registered users can update their personal information via our website.
5. How can you make a privacy related complaint?
If you wish to make a complaint about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, or how AVCAL have handled your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer (details below).
Any complaint will be investigated by our Privacy Officer and we will usually notify you of a decision in relation to your complaint as soon as practicable after it has been made, usually within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
6. Does AVCAL disclose your personal information overseas?
AVCAL may disclose your personal information to:
- members and or sponsors of AVCAL;
- external service providers who help AVCAL operate its business or conduct surveys on AVCAL's behalf. These providers may be located overseaa including the United States of America; or
- third parties, as required or permitted by law; and
- anyone to whom you authorise us to disclose your personal information.
7. Contact our Privacy Officer
You can contact our Privacy Officer at:
Email: Privacy Officer (at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Post: AVCAL - Privacy Officer
Level 10, Kyle House
27-31 Macquarie Place,
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: + 61 2 8243 7000
8. Updates to this Policy
AVCAL's web site is the virtual hub for the Australian venture capital and private equity industries.
Its aim is to link organisations that are involved in the provision of capital and services to Australian venture capital and private equity.
AVCAL does not:
- Give investment or securities advice
- Carry on an investment advisory business or a securities business
- Deal in securities on its own account or for or on behalf of any other person.
Information provided by AVCAL:
- Does not constitute personal securities recommendations or investment advice
- Is not intended to induce any person to enter into securities transactions
- Should not be relied upon as professional financial advice
- Is not intended to be a substitute for advice from a qualified financial adviser.
AVCAL does not warrant, guarantee or represent the completeness or accuracy of any information provided by AVCAL and does not assume or accept any liability or responsibility for:
- The accuracy of any information provided on this site, whether from the passing of time or otherwise
- Any errors or omissions in any information provided
- Any loss or damage suffered in any way by any person relying on any information provided
- Any computer viruses or other contamination inadvertently passed on.
Before relying on the material on this site, or information contained in it, users should independently verify its accuracy, currency, completeness and relevance for their purposes, and should obtain any proper professional advice. In particular, users should seek independent professional advice before making any investment or business decisions.
AVCAL disclaims, to the extent permitted by law, all liability for all claims, losses, expenses, damages, and costs the user may incur as a result of or associated with the use of information on this site for any reason whatsoever.
AVCAL assumes no liability for the actions of its members or any other person referred to on this site. Any links to other web sites or other contact details do not constitute endorsement of any materials, organisation, product or service.
AVCAL strives for world best practice. If you have a complaint about the conduct of an investor member, please contact our General Manager.
Author: Yasser El-Ansary, Chief Executive Officer, AVCAL